Alright friends, it is time to bring the A game! 2020 is here and this is your year to shine!
A big part of that is how fit you are. So, let’s get cracking on the physical part of your personal evolution and turn you into best version of yourself possible. We have a whole slew of suggestions to get you into lean, mean fighting shape!
1. Work out at Venice Beach Recreation and Parks.
Venice’s ocean front recreation is known the world over! From the iconic Muscle Beach Gym to the basketball courts, no trip to Venice is complete without a day in the park. The Rec & Parks office offers handball, basketball, boxing bag rentals free with valid I.D. Paddle tennis racquet rental $5 with valid I.D. Instructors also available. Courts are first come first served. Venice Beach Recreation and Parks Office, 1800 Ocean Front Walk. 310.399.2775
2. Train at the beach and run the dune at Venice Breakwater or at the Venice Pier!
Every winter the Los Angeles County of Beaches and Harbors bulldozes the beach and creates a 150 yard long dune. It is the perfect workout tool. Run up and down it diagonally to your hearts content. It is a low impact, cardio intense jam that is sure to get you sweating.
3. Do some hot yoga at Modo Yoga LA!
This place is fantastic! The teachers are super rad, it’s 100 degrees with 50% humidity and you sweat like a demon! Calm, Fit, Inspired.
- Intro Month Special: $50. Available for first time students to Modo Yoga LA. Select your studio of choice for 30 days of unlimited classes.
- Be Awesome Membership: $125/MONTH. Unlimited classes at all 3 Modo Yoga LA locations (Venice, La Brea & Echo Park) with lots of sweaty membership perks.
For more info: ModoYogaLA.com. 888-663-6523
5. Pump some iron or take a group class at the world famous Gold’s Gym!
Gold’s Gym Venice is probably the most famous house of iron in the world. This is where Arnold, Lou, Franco, and hundreds more of world champion bodybuilders have trained. And, they have group classes, an outdoor area with boxing bags, kettlebells, plyometric equipment, battle ropes and more. This is a must do! Browse the weekly class schedules for group workouts ranging from martial arts-inspired cardio classes to carefully paced foundational yoga sessions. 360 Hampton Drive.Venice, CA 90291. 310-392-6004. goldsgym.com/veniceca
6. Start the New Year with healthy habits at Muscle Beach Juice Bar and Muscle Beach Nutrition.
Power up on wheatgrass and ginger shots, fresh juice, smoothies, protein shakes, breakfast burritos, vegetarian options, more! While you are there, grab the iconic orange dumbbell cup for your favorite smoothie drinking workout fiend.
As well, for all your supplement needs, check out Muscle Beach Nutrition, located next door to the juice bar.Located on the Venice Beach Boardwalk across from the world famous Muscle Beach Gym. 1809 Oceanfront Walk. Venice, Ca 90291. MuscleBeach.com
6. Play game of basketball at the world famous Venice Basketball courts.
3 regulation & 1 stadium size court.
7. Soar high and skate at the Venice Skatepark!
27,000 sq. foot park. Two bowls, snake run, rails, stairs.
8. Play a game or two of Paddle Tennis/Pop Tennis/Pickelball!
11 courts! Paddle tennis racquet rental $5 with valid I.D. at Venice Beach Recreation and Parks Office, 1800 Ocean Front Walk. Instructors also available. Courts are first come first served. 1800 Ocean Front Walk. 310.399.2775
9. Want to take a surf lesson? Check out Jay’s Rentals!
Jay’s Rental has been assisting tourist and locals in Venice Beach since 1996. They both have packages that include wet suits, boards and a qualified instructor. And, they also have body boards, beach supplies and more! JaysRentalsVB.com
10. Ride or skate the bike path!
The bike path that runs along the beach spans 17 miles, from Pacific Palisades to the Palos Verdes peninsula. No pedestrians on path!
11. Need a bike, skate or board for a day? Rent from Jay’s Rentals!
Jay’s has bikes, tandems, blades and skates for cruising the path. Rent hourly or by the day. Try riding a beach cruiser up the beach on the sand! Jay’s Rentals has fat tire beach cruisers designed for cruising the shoreline! And, when you are done they can teach you to surf! Ride a beach cruiser up the beach on the sand! 1501 Ocean Front Walk Venice, CA (310) 392-7306. JaysRentalsVB.com
12. Power walk and be entertained on the Venice Boardwalk!
13. Commit to a daily walk in the Venice Canals!
Many of the streets in Venice were once canals. What is left is just a fraction of once abundant waterways, which were laid out by city founder Abbot Kinney to be a miniature version of Venice, Italy.
14. Power up in the Venice Sandpit!
The sand pit includes two rings set, high & low parallel bars, balance bar, horizontal bar, and 2 climbing ropes.
15. Fly like a superhero at the rings in Santa Monica.
16. Dance it out at the Venice Drum Circle or Roller Dance Skate Plaza.
The Roller Skate Dance Plaza has a Live D.J. and dancing every weekend.
17. Sweat it out at the Handball courts!
4 three wall courts and 3 one wall courts. Courts are first come first served. Venice Beach Recreation and Parks Office, 1800 Ocean Front Walk. 310.399.2775
18. Box it out at the Boxing area by the Venice Sandpit
6 speed bag platforms, 2 heavy bag areas. Fun fact: Venice Paparazzi’s Alex and Edizen met at the heavy bag in 2000.
19. Grab your Fitbit, and power walk Venice using the Venice Activities CheckList and Map! View map below!
If you take photos #VeniceBeachFun
20. Stuck at a desk? How about standing up while you work? And while you are at it, add 20 squats and 10 pushups every 15 minutes!
That is 640 squats and 320 push ups for an 8 hour day! And how about adding some pull ups and abs to the mix? Think about how that would play out if you did that every work day of 2020! BAM! You are welcome!