Popping-Up at Windward Circle!
POP-UP PLAZA – SEATING – BIKE LANES – GAMES
For one day only on Saturday, Safe Routes to School (SRTS) will temporarily transform Windward Circle in Venice to enhance pedestrian, bicyclist, and e-scooter safety and comfort. This pop-up will demonstrate how Venice can create new public spaces, safer streets, and cooler corridors that support the Green New Deal’s climate and mobility goals.
Time: 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM
The Pop-up Aims to:
- Create new public space and designated walkways to enhance pedestrian safety and comfort;
- Make the five-way intersection safer and more intuitive for all travelers;
- Connect existing infrastructure to create continuous facilities for people biking and using e-scooters; and
- Test new street design concepts before securing funding for permanent installation.
Key Features will Include:
- Pedestrian plazas with flexible seating, street trees, and pedestrian amenities
- Colorful curb extensions with shortened crosswalks
- Two-way non-motorized travel lane throughout the roundabout
- Channelized vehicle traffic with narrower travel lanes and yield signs
- Family-friendly games and activities with prizes and giveaways
Safe Routes to School (SRTS) is a partnership of the Los Angeles Department of Transportation (LADOT) and the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD). This event is made possible with the support of Council District 11. This demonstration is part of a broader set of countermeasures in the Westminster Avenue Elementary SRTS Plan.
We hope you will attend this event with friends, colleagues, and family. Please note that parking will be limited in the project area. If you plan to drive, please allow time to park nearby and walk to the project site. Windward Circle is accessible by LA Metro Routes 33/733, Big Blue Bus Route 1, and Culver City Bus Line 1. Please stay tuned for updates on transit detours during the event.