Check out our sister site VisitVeniceCa.com for Venice, California activities, attractions, events calendar and local deals!
No trip to Venice is complete without visiting each of the listed attractions and unique neighborhoods that make up our city! View and print out the Venice Checklist and map! Enjoy
1. Have a beach day at VENICE BEACH. Surf, swim, body board and splash around in the Pacific Ocean. Go for a deep sand run or power walk in ankle deep water. Sunbathe & relax. Keep an eye out for dolphins. Volleyball courts also available.
2 Walk and be entertained on the VENICE BOARDWALK. Street performers, artists, tourists locals, restaurants and bars, shops, souvenirs, and more! There is something for everyone on Venice’s world famous Oceanfront Walk.
3. RENT SOME TRANSPORT and EXPLORE VENICE on a bike, skateboard, segway, IO Hawk, blades or roller skates!
4. Have a fun family day and/or work out at the VENICE RECREATION AND PARKS CENTER! Venice’s ocean front recreation is known the world over! From the iconic Muscle Beach Gym to the basketball courts, no trip to Venice is complete without a day in the park. Venice Rec and Parks offers: Muscle Beach Gym, Basketball Courts, Children’s Parks, Gymnastic & Boxing Area, Roller Skate Plaza, Skate Plaza, Handball, Paddle Tennis Courts & more!
5. Take the SELF GUIDED CULTURAL WALKING TOUR. Venice’s streets are home to the work of many artists. Follow the gold stars on the map to check some of Venice’s street art, history and attractions. Attractions include:
- The Venice Sign
- Venice Torso by Robert Graham
- 20’ Ceramic Sculpture by William Attaway
- 60’ V-Sculpture by Mark di Suvero
- Ballerina Clown sculpture created in 1988 by Jonathan Borofsky
- Binocular Building
- The Venice Beach House by L.A. architect Frank Gehry
- Check out HAMAY SUSHI! Located on the former Grand Canal in historic Venice Beach, California Hama was founded in 1979 and was one of the first authentic Japanese sushi restaurants in the United States. Hama also serves as an art showcase for local artists and shows surf movies during the evening. Visit the Hama-Wood patio bar “Shot-In-Venice” Film Posters, and their “Venice History” Dining Room and Sushi Bar.
- Check out historic artifacts, photos and the last gondola at DANNY’S.
6. Get some medical marijuana at the GREEN GODDESS COLLECTIVE and smoke one for the spirit gods!
7. Hungry? DINE AND DRINK locally at these fine establishments.
8. Stroll ABBOT KINNEY BLVD.: This trendy boulevard, named for the city’s founder, is full of hip boutiques, restaurants and bars, & beautiful people.
9. Enjoy a leisure stroll on the VENICE CANALS. Many of the streets in Venice were once canals. What is left is just a fraction of once abundant waterways, which were laid out by city founder Abbot Kinney to be a minature version of Venice, Italy.
10. Grab a selfie under the iconic VENICE SIGN! When Venice of America opened for business and fun back in 1905, there was the Venice sign, glowingly strung across Windward Ave.In 2007 it was recreated.
10. Visit the historic WINDWARD AVE. Home of the Venice Sign, Robert Graham’s Venice Torso, the colonnade, and murals including “Touch of Venice” and “Kinesis”. Restaurants, bars, shopping, nightlife and more on this world famous block. Historic artifacts and the last gondola found in Danny’s.
12. Watch the action at the VENICE SKATEPARK! 27,000 sq. foot park. Two bowls, snake run, rails, stairs.
13. Check out or paint the VENICE ART WALLS: These historic walls were originally part of the Venice Pavilion that was built in 1961. In 2000, it became legal to paint the walls and the area was renamed the Venice Graffiti Walls. In 2007, the walls were renamed the Venice Public Art Walls or the Venice Art Walls for short.
14. Cruise the BIKE PATH. Our oceanfront bike trail (no pedestrians allowed) stretches 17 miles from Pacific Palisades to Palos Verdes. You can rent bikes from J’s Rental’s on Windward Ave. by the hour or day for a great rate. And, they have surfboards, skateboards, roller skates, blades, surf and skate lesson, and other things as well. RENT SOME TRANSPORT and EXPLORE VENICE on a bike, skate board, segway, IO Hawk, blades or roller skates!
15. Let the kids run free at the CHILDREN’S PLAY STATION located on the beach.
16. SURF all day!
17. Enjoy a breathtaking view at the VENICE PIER. The pier starts at the end of Washington Blvd. Walk to the end for a breathtaking view, go fishing or watch the surfers!
18. View a list of the BEST VIEWS OF VENICE
19. Drum and dance at the VENICE DRUM CIRCLE
20 Hang out at WASHINGTON SQUARE. Great restaurants, bars, shops, nightlife, the beach, Venice Pier, and people watching are the main activities in this neighborhood.
22. Be inspired at the Beyond Baroque POETRY WALLS! The words of Jim Morrison of the Doors, Manazar Gamboa, Philomene Long, Exene Cervenka of the Punk Rock band X, actor Viggo Mortensen, and others are engraved in the concrete walls of the LAPD substation and three public restrooms exterior shower walls.
23. Keep your eye out for these amazing VENICE MURALS.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger – mural by Jonas Never
- Jim Morrison -mural by Rip Cronk
- Venice Kinesis- mural by Rip Cronk
- Venice Beach House- mural by Rip Cronk
- Portrait of Abbot Kinney (A tribute to Venice’s founder is 50’ x 20’) – mural by Rip Cronk
- A Touch of Venice mural by Jonas Never.
- Endangered Species by Emily Winters
- Look out for additional street art by Jonas Never, Jules Muck, Isabelle Alford Lago, Chase and more.
ADDITIONAL THINGS TO DO!
- Start the day with coffee, cold press juice, wheatgrass or smoothie!
- Check out our best neighborhood Happy Hours
- Best places to eat along the Venice Boardwalk.
- Save money on hotels, food, massage and more with these local deals!
- Hungry or thirsty? Check out this list of food and drink options!
- Enjoy a Venice sunset!
- Need a work out? Get physical with this list!
- Enjoy Venice’s best desserts!
- Check out this list of ongoing and annual art events.
- Have your dog with you? Click here for a list of pet friendly activities!
- Plan the perfect date with this list!
- Go to the theatre!
- Visit an Art Gallery!
- After hours! Here are your nightlife options.
- Buy some art. Visit a local art gallery!
- Need a tour guide?
- Play a game of beach volleyball!
- This is where to go for souvenirs.
- Shopping and street fashion!
- Take the Self Guided Art Tour!
- Check out the Venice Art Plaza Housed just east of Abbot Kinney on Venice Blvd. is Beyond Baroque (playhouse), Pacific Resident’s Theatre and the SPARC murals center.
- Find the best food LA trucks here!
- Grab a picnic and a blanket and enjoy a free Outdoor Concerts.
- Free Outdoor Movies. Fun!
- Visit High Rooftop Lounge! Full bar atop Hotel Erwin overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Venice! High is the premiere Venice Beach open-air rooftop lounge, where the nightly sunset is the main event.
- Visit Danny’s museum to view historical images and artifacts of Venice, the original 1906 Venice Gondola, & Rip Cronk’s “Hobnobbing in Venice” mural.
- Enjoy ROSE AVE.: Unique restaurants, cutting edge fashion & more!
- Visit the MARINA! for boating, fishing and a stop at Mother’s Beach, Burton Chase Park and Fishermen’s Village. Eat at Tony P’s Dockside and Grill or Marina Grill and Bar.
- Explore the Marina with the Marina Del Rey Water Bus!
- Check out Main St. Santa Monica for a huge selection of vibrant restaurants, bars, boutiques and coffee houses.
- Get some of the “surfer’s sashimi” at Poke Poke on the boardwalk at 19th. ave.
- Check out the Bento Box lunch special at Hama Sushi, a Venice restaurant since 1979. Free 2hr valet
- Eat and drink on the Sidewalk Cafe’s outdoor patio. Great place to people watch on the Venice Beach Boardwalk.
- View list of local farmers’ markets! Venice Farmers Market every Friday from 7-11 a.m.
- Enjoy Swiss and German Beers and Food while you catch the most unforgettable sunset on On the Waterfront Cafe’s outdoor patio and beer garden! Celebrating 20 Years of Great Views & Great Brews
- Drink at the Townhouse -Del Monte Speakeasy! Venice’s oldest bar was once a prohibition speakeasy!
- Shop at the Venice Flea Market or Abbot Kinney Outdoor Market
- Get a tattoo! There are tons of tattoo shops along the Venice Boardwalk!
- Grab a workout at Gold’s Gym Venice. This is the most famous bodybuilding gym in the world and was the home of some of the sport’s innovators including Arnold Schwarzenegger, Lou Ferrigno and others.
- Visit the Venice Arts District.
- Take the kids to the Santa Monica Pier Aquarium. It is a hands on, interactive, educational program aimed at teaching kids about marine life and ecosystems
- Take a ride on the Ferris Wheel at Santa Monica Pier for breath taking views!
- Visit N. Venice Blvd. west of Pacific ave. This area is home to, among other things, two outstanding art galleries as well as several great restaurants, including James’ Beach (made world famous for its fish tacos by the film I Love you, man).
- Grab a yoga class at YAS Fitness and then walk down the street for a thai massage at Lamai Thai. Now that sounds relaxing!
- Drink a giant Patron margarita and people watch at Cabo Cantina. They are super tasty and one is all you need!
- Grab some coffee or juice at the Cow’s End Cafe. This family owned gem serves up sandwiches, omelets, fresh squeezed juice and more. And they are dog friendly! This is also an internet cafe! Check your emails here!
- Work out with Kettlebell Boxing!
- Craving sushi?
- Time to eat!
- Time to relax!