Want to know about Abbot Kinney and Venice history? Check out Detour’s audio tour “Venice: Abbot Kinney’s Impossible Dream.” Discover how Venice was created — and almost destroyed — and meet the spirit of town-founder Abbot Kinney. Venice Paparazzi’s Edizen Stowell is honored to be the tour guide on Detour’s Venice: Abbot Kinney’s Impossible Dream. View details below!
About Detour Los Angeles: Detour Los Angeles guides you through the places and stories that make Los Angeles one of the most entertaining, fabled, and diverse cities in the world. Fascinating insiders will take you into the heart of LA and show you what makes it tick. You’ll peek behind the city’s sparkling facade and discover its real glamour, hidden quirks, and quiet wonders. Here are the tours for Los Angeles.
- Venice: Abbot Kinney’s Impossible Dream – Tour guided by Venice Paparazzi’s Edizen Stowell
- Venice: Life On The Edge – Tour guided by Venice skate legend Eric Tuma
- Downtown: Gateway to the City of Angels
- Santa Monica: Designing a Pedestrian Utopia
About Detour’s Venice -Abbot Kinney’s Impossible Dream:
Discover how Venice was created — and almost destroyed — and meet the spirit of town-founder Abbot Kinney. When Abbot Kinney bought land on the Southern California coast over 100 years ago, it was nothing but a swampy marsh. But Kinney was a world traveler and had a wild vision — to transform this acreage into his very own “Venice of America.”
Toast to Abbot Kinney!
Click here for best bars/restaurants in Venice, California. And, why not take a selfie with Abbot Kinney himself and #VeniceBeachFun. The Abbot Kinney mural by Rip Cronk is located on North Venice Blvd. next door to James beach and the Canal Club, 60 North Venice Blvd. Venice, California. 90291.
Each Detour tour is only $4.99. Sync your tour with friends to hear everything at the same time. Only one person needs to pay. Try Detour for free. Download the Detour app and take the first 10 minutes of any tour for free. Available on iOS and Android.
A message from Venice Paparazzi’s Edizen to Detour, Dan Arden (Executive producer) and Dana Millikin (Producer). Thank you for this amazing opportunity, and inviting me to be part of this special project.
For more Venice History:
- Check out Abbot Kinney’s page on Wikipedia.
- Check out Venice of America page on Wikipedia
- Visit Don Westland’s website www.westland.net/venicehistory for more on Venice History. His interactive educational site covers the history of Venice Beach, California. It features timelines, historic articles and photographs, interactive maps that when clicked on show historic views, and a list of movies filmed on Venice’s streets, amusement piers and canals.
- Pick up a copy of Jeffrey Stanton’s book “Venice, California – Coney Island of the Pacific.” The book contains over 300 photographs, mostly B/W, but a few in color appeared as postcards or are more recently taken photos by the author. Many are full page-sized archival quality photographs of great historical interest. You can order a copy online here!
- Visit Danny’s, Venice museum/restaurant/bar!
- Photo one: Abbot Kinney and the Story of Venice mural by Edward Biberman
- Photo 3 & 4 photos found on Westland.net
- Photo 5 by Venice Paparazzi’s Edizen