Venice is a physical town! And there are tons of workouts to check out. Here is a slew of suggestions to get you into lean, mean fighting shape!
1. Train at the beach! Run the dune at Venice Breakwater or at the Venice Pier! Every winter the County bulldozes the beach and creates a 150 yard long dune. It is the perfect workout tool. Run up and down it diagonally to your hearts content. It is a low impact, cardio intense jam that is sure to get you sweating.
2. Surf, swim, body board and splash around in the Pacific Ocean. Go for a deep sand run or power walk in ankle deep water. Sunbathe & relax. Keep an eye out for dolphins. Volleyball courts also available. You can rent surf, body and skim boards at several spots if you do not have your own. Or, grab a Frisbee or a ball for some catch. Marvel at the planet’s largest ocean or meditate into your own universe, either way the beach has the perfect spot for everyone. Showers and bathrooms located by and on the beach at the Venice Pier, North Venice Blvd, 17th St., Market St. Brooks Ave. and Rose Ave. Admission is free!
3. Grab a workout a the iconic Muscle Beach Gym on the Venice Boardwalk. Outdoor gym with free weights, machines, power rack, powerlifting bumpers & more. Bodybuilder Hall of Fame also found here. $10 day pass or $20/month.
While at Muscle Beach Juice Bar, get the Muscle Beach Souvenir cup! Grab the iconic orange dumbbell cup for your favorite smoothie drinking workout fiend. As well, for all your supplement needs, check out Muscle Beach Nutrition, located next door to the juice bar. In this photo: Muscle Beach Nutrition Athlete. www.MuscleBeach.com
5. Work out at the Venice Recreation and Parks Center! Venice’s ocean front recreation is known the world over! From the iconic Muscle Beach Gym to the basketball courts, no trip to Venice is complete without a day in the park. The Rec & Parks office offers handball, basketball, boxing bag rentals free with valid I.D. Paddle tennis racquet rental $5 with valid I.D. Instructors also available. Courts are first come first served. View flyer to view full list of Venice Recreation and Parks’ facilities.
10. Need a bike, skate or board for a day?
- Jay’s Rentals: Jay’s has bikes, tandems, blades and skates for cruising the path. Rent hourly or by the day. And, when you are done they can teach you to surf! 1501 Ocean Front Walk Venice, CA (310) 392-7306. Ask them about their $15 all day rental special
- Maui and Sons: Rent a skateboard, take a lesson and drop into the big bowl at the Venice Skate Park! Maui and Sons is the only place in the V that gives full on skate lessons. They will equip you and show you how it done! Or, you can rent a board and skate the bike path. Either way it will be rad! And, they also do full package surf lessons! 1415 Oceanfront Walk Venice, CA (310) 392- 6284.
20. Want to take a surf lesson? Check out Jay’s rentals or Maui and Sons! They both have packages that include wet suits, boards and a qualified instructor. And, they also have body boards, beach supplies and more!
21. Ride a beach cruiser up the beach on the sand! Jay’s Rentals has fat tire beach cruisers designed for cruising the shoreline!
22. Grab your Fitbit, and power walk Venice using the Venice Activities CheckList and Map! If you take photos #VeniceBeachFun
Click here for additional physical activities!