Let’s learn about the place we love. For your reading pleasure, check out Small World Books’ Top 10 Books on Venice, California.
Small World Books has been serving locals and tourist since 1969. SWB is an unusual purveyor of literature, dedicated to the principle that the book you want is the book you should have. They are the best independent book store in Venice, and carry a wide selection of titles published by both major and small presses. Located on the exciting Venice Boardwalk, they have a well-read staff anxious to find the book you want. View the history of Small World Books below!
- 1407 Ocean Front Walk, Venice, CA 90291
- Follow SWB on Facebook
- Follow SWB on twitter.com/SmallWorldBooks
- Follow SWB on instagram.com/smallworldbooksvenice
Venice California Coney Island of the Pacific
- Jeffrey Stanton
- The classic history book of Venice in all its glory – a multitude of photographs with informative text.
- Arnold Springer, PhD
- A vast collection of historical material gathered from the author’s research of primary sources
- Carolyn Elayne Alexander
- A smaller photography collection compiled by The Venice Historical Society.
- Noel Osheroff, Tamie Smith, and the Venice Art Council
- A beautiful guide to the tiles on the park benches of the Boardwalk
- Andrew Deener
- An academic work on the diversity of Venice and its tenacity in maintaining that uniqueness.
- C.R.Stecyk III and Glen E Froedman
- The Legend of the Z-Boys has been described as “The Dogtown text book” and an insightful companion piece to the movie: “DogTown and Z-Boys”. . Spanning 1975 1985, the first section of the 240 page book includes the best of the “DogTown” articles written by C.R. Stecyk III as they originally appeared in SkateBoarder Magazine. The second half compiles 100s of never before seen skate images from the archive of Glen E. Friedman – many of which appear in the movie.
- Dotan Saguy
- A contemporary collection of photographs – eccentric and wild.
- Brian Averill
- A magnificent collection of photos of the new skatepark, set against beautiful views of the surf culture
- James R Smith
- Tactics to combat gentrification.
- Lawrence Lipton
- A retelling of the “Beats” life in Venice – cast of characters including Allen Ginsberg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Kenneth Rexroth and others.
Here is a history on Small World Books!
Opening in what was then referred to as Boys’ Market Center in Marina del Rey on Labor Day 1969 and then taking the short hop skip and jump to the Venice Beach Boardwalk on Labor Day 1976, Small World books has been doling out sincere recommendations to both locals and tourists from around the world for every one of those 50 years!
But Small World Books has also been an artistic hub for both emerging and established authors, from signings with Anne Rice(the line went down the boardwalk as far as the eye could see!) and Walter Mosley(his first book signing was with them and his mother made sure to invite all her friends,) among countless other authors both big and small; to art openings, live music and innumerable stories(some more appropriate than others) that have shaped who SWB is and what makes them one of the most unique bookstores in the country!
Small World Books is located next to The Sidewalk Cafe on the Venice Boardwalk! 1407 Ocean Front Walk, Venice, Ca 90291.
Here is a photo of Small World Books’ location before Covid-19.