- Create a mental health wellness plan: Create a guide of coping skills, people to talk to in stressful situations, and enjoyable activities to ensure that you maintain the balance between your thoughts, emotions, and behaviors.
- Practice self-acceptance: Use the new year as an opportunity to practice self-acceptance and self-esteem.
- Put yourself first: Self-care isn’t selfish. It’s important to take time every day for yourself and your mental health. Engage in something that is meaningful and brings you joy. Do what helps you relax and recharge, and seek out experiences that have a calming effect.
- Learn a new skill: Creative hobbies can provide a sense of pride and achievement.
- Exercise: Exercising for at least 30 minutes every day can help alleviate symptoms of depression and anxiety. Go for a walk, ride a bike, take a fitness class, or play a sport with friends and family.
- Be grateful: Practicing gratitude every day can invoke feelings of thankfulness and optimism that make managing challenges easier. Don’t beat yourself up when you make a mistake – everyone makes them.
- Eat well: A balanced diet contributes to both physical and mental health.
- Get enough sleep: Most health authorities recommend that adults get between 7 and 9 hours of sleep each day. Avoid caffeine after lunchtime.
- Slow down: Notice with intention the things you are doing. Draw your awareness to the moment especially those that are positive.
- Ask for help when you need it: It’s a sign of strength to reach out for resources and support when your mental wellness is suffering.
Need to talk or get immediate help in a crisis?
About Airport Marina Counseling Service:
(AMCS), founded in 1962, is a nonprofit, community-based mental health clinic that serves the LAX, South Bay and Westside areas of Los Angeles. AMCS offers community-based, accessible mental health services; and provides quality training to therapists.
- Monday through Wednesday – 9am-9pm (in-person and telehealth)
- Thursday – 9am-5pm (in -person and telehealth) | 6-9pm (telehealth only)
- Friday – 9am-3pm (telehealth only)
- Saturday and Sunday – 9am-3pm (in-person and telehealth)
For more info: