A message from our friends at Pacific Park!
The city of Santa Monica joins the U.S. Army for a Veterans Day Ceremony on Friday, Nov. 10 at 11 a.m. on the western half of the Santa Monica Pier parking deck; the Pacific Wheel will be lit in honor of veterans on Friday and Saturday evenings.
The City of Santa Monica will once again celebrate military veterans and their families with a spcial ceremony and presentations at the Santa Monica Pier. The event is in its fourth year and expected to be spectacular, with Army helicopters conducting a flyover at the Pier, performance by the West Point Drill Team, and remarks from military personnel and local elected officials. The event is open to the public and free to attend on Friday afternoon at 11 AM. The remarks and performances will take place on the pier deck just outside of the east entrance to Pacific Park.
- WHAT: Special Lighting of the Pacific Wheel for Veterans’ Day 2023
- WHEN: Friday, November 10 to Saturday, November 11. dusk (around 5 PM) to midnight
- WHERE: Pacific Park on the Santa Monica Pier
Pacific Park will join the city with their salute by lighting the world-famous Pacific Wheel red, white, and blue and displaying icons representing 5 branches of the US Armed Forces. This special lighting event will take place on the evenings of Friday, November 10 and Saturday, November 11. The Ferris wheel lights can be seen from dusk until 11:35 PM each evening. Enjoy watching the light program online at www.pacpark.com/live.
“As Santa Monica’s mayor, I have a great appreciation for the protections afforded to our community because of the selfless service of our military,” Mayor Gleam Davis said regarding the planned event. “And as the mother of a veteran myself, I know the physical and emotional costs that come with the job. I’m pleased to join with my community to take time to recognize the bravery and sacrifice of those who safeguard our freedoms at home and abroad.”
Friday’s event program will include:
- Blackhawk and Chinook Helicopters Flyover
- West Point Drill Team Demonstration
- Military vehicles on display including Humvees & JLTVs
- Keynote Speech by Deputy Under Secretary of the Army Mario Diaz
- Soldiers Swearing-in Ceremony by Major General Dianne Del Rosso
- Remarks from Principal Deputy Under Secretary for Benefits (Dept of VA) Michael Frueh
- Remarks from Congressman Ted Lieu
- Remarks from Santa Monica Mayor Gleam Davis
- The 300th Army Band Performance
- Singing of God Bless America by Miss USO Heidi-Marie Ferren
- National Anthem by singer Christena Rich
- Concert by Army rock band Brave The Night and Rusty de la Croix blues band
- Free ride tickets for veterans and military members (a limited number of tickets available on a first-come, first-serve basis)
- Free meals for veterans and military members (courtesy of Meals on Wheels)
“We should always remember that freedom is not free. With all the tragic events currently happening around the world, it’s ever more important for us to honor and show our gratitude to our veterans and military members who continue to dedicate their lives to defending our freedom. We hope to do just that through our event at the world famous Santa Monica Pier,” said event organizer Sonki Hong, Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army.
See the lights from home at www.pacpark.com/live.