GET OUTSIDE AND PLAY!
It is a beautiful day outside and you deserve to enjoy it! Not sure what to do? Well you are in luck! We have put together a list with a wide variety of super fun, most free, activities to do in Venice. Now get out there into the balmy weather, under the sunny sky, and get your recreation on!
View list below or print the Venice California Checklist and map!
1. Have a beach day at VENICE BEACH. Surf, swim, bodyboard and splash around in the Pacific Ocean. Go for a deep sand run, sunbathe, relax, build a sand castle, and keep an eye out for dolphins. Volleyball courts also available.
2. Walk and be entertained on the world famous VENICE BOARDWALK. Artists, street performers, shopping, souvenirs Venice Beach Freakshow, tattoos, bars and restaurants.
3. RENT SOME TRANSPORT and EXPLORE VENICE on a bike, skate board, blades or roller skates!
4. Play or train at the VENICE RECREATION AND PARKS CENTER. Attractions: Muscle Beach Gym, Basketball, Handball & Paddle Tennis Courts, Kid’s Play Areas, Boxing, Gymnastics Area, Skateparks, & more. Showers available.
5. Train or pose down at the iconic MUSCLE BEACH GYM. Outdoor gym and Bodybuilder Hall of Fame. $10 day pass. Fuel up at Muscle Beach Juice Bar!
6. Go to the SKATEPARK! 27,000 sq. foot park. 2 bowls, snake run, rails, stairs.
7. Let the kids run free at the PLAY STATIONS. Located on the beach.
8. Take the Detour tour, and learn the story of Venice’s Founder, Abbot Kinney and the early history of the V! Abbot Kinney’s Impossible Dream tour led by Venice Paparazzi‘s and VisitVeniceCA‘s Edizen Stowell.
9. Dance at the DRUM CIRCLE or ROLLER SKATE PLAZA. Sat. & Sun.
11. Grab a selfie or family portrait under the iconic VENICE SIGN.
12. Visit the historic WINDWARD AVE. Live music & historic artifacts at Danny’s. The Venice Sign, Kinesis & Touch of Venice murals. Hamawood at Hama Sushi.
13. Have a cocktail at HIGH ROOFTOP LOUNGE! Full bar atop Hotel Erwin overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Venice! High is the premiere Venice Beach open-air rooftop lounge, where the nightly sunset is the main event.
14. Stroll ABBOT KINNEY BLVD. This trendy boulevard, named for the city’s founder, is full of boutiques, restaurants, bars, nightlife, and beautiful people.
15. Hang out at WASHINGTON SQUARE. Outdoor patios: Simmzy’s, Cabo Cantina or Cow’s End Cafe (Internet cafe). Steps from the Venice Pier & Venice Canals.
16. Enjoy a leisure stroll on the VENICE CANALS. The streets in Venice were once canals laid out by city founder Abbot Kinney to be a miniature Venice, Italy.
17. Walk the VENICE PIER for breathtaking coastal views, watch the surfers in action, or go fishing. 1,300 foot pier was built in 1963.
18. SURF all day!
19. View a list of the BEST VIEWS OF VENICE
20. Be inspired at the Beyond Baroque POETRY WALLS! The words of Jim Morrison of the Doors, Manazar Gamboa, Philomene Long, Exene Cervenka of the Punk Rock band X, actor Viggo Mortensen, and others are engraved in the concrete walls of the LAPD substation and three public restrooms exterior shower walls.
21. Keep your eye out for these amazing VENICE MURALS.
22. Check out or paint the VENICE ART WALLS: These historic walls were originally part of the Venice Pavilion that was built in 1961. In 2000, it became legal to paint the walls and the area was renamed the Venice Graffiti Walls. In 2007, the walls were renamed the Venice Public Art Walls or the Venice Art Walls for short.
24. Cruise the 22 mile ocean front BIKE PATH. No pedestrians allowed
Bike, Blades, Skates, Surf, Boogieboards & Skateboards Rentals /Lessons at JAY’S RENTALS. 1501 Oceanfront Walk JaysRentalsVB.com 310-392-7306
Beach Accessories & Skate/Surf Rentals & Lessons at MAUI AND SONS. 1415 Oceanfront Walk. MauiAndSonsRetail.com 310-392-6284 E4 23 Washington Blvd, (By the Venice Pier) (310) 823-5850
25. Pick up some Medical Marijuana at GREEN GODDESS COLLECTIVE. Happy hour 4-5 pm daily. 15% of off selected 1/8’s. 1716 Main St. Venice, Ca 90291. 310-396-7770
26. Eat a sausage from JODY MARONI’S SAUSAGE KINGDOM. An iconic Venice treat since 1979. 2011 Oceanfront Walk. Family packs available JodyMaroni.com
27. Chillax and grab some food on one of the town’s Outdoor patios: The Sidewalk Cafe, High Rooftop Lounge, Barlo, James’ Beach, Hama Sushi, SurfSide Poke-Poke, Simmzy’s, The Cow’s End Cafe, and Jody Maroni‘s.
28. Check out or paint the VENICE ART WALLS: These historic walls were originally part of the Venice Pavilion that was built in 1961. In 2000, it became legal to paint the walls and the area was renamed the Venice Graffiti Walls. In 2007, the walls were renamed the Venice Public Art Walls or the Venice Art Walls for short.
29. Hungry? DINE AND DRINK locally at these fine establishments.
30. Do some day drinking! Bottomless rum punch, bloody Mary’s and mimosa’s M-F from 9:30 a.m.- 3:30 p.m at Sunny Spot!
31. Check out HAMA SUSHI! Located on the former Grand Canal in historic Venice Beach, California Hama was founded in 1979 and was one of the first authentic Japanese sushi restaurants in the United States. Hama also serves as an art showcase for local artists and shows surf movies during the evening. Visit the Hama-Wood patio bar “Shot-In-Venice” Film Posters, and their “Venice History” Dining Room and Sushi Bar.
32. Get your training on! Check out this list of Venice training facilities and workouts!
33. Take the Detour tour, and learn the story of Venice’s Founder, Abbot Kinney and the early history of the V! Abbot Kinney’s Impossible Dream tour led by Venice Paparazzi‘s and VisitVeniceCA‘s Edizen Stowell.
ADDITIONAL THINGS TO DO!
- Start the day with coffee, cold press juice, wheatgrass or smoothie!
- Check out our best neighborhood Happy Hours
- Best places to eat along the Venice Boardwalk.
- Save money on hotels, food, massage and more with these local deals!
- Hungry or thirsty? Check out this list of food and drink options!
- Enjoy a Venice sunset!
- Need a work out? Get physical with this list!
- Enjoy Venice’s best desserts!
- Check out this list of ongoing and annual art events.
- Have your dog with you? Click here for a list of pet friendly activities!
- Plan the perfect date with this list!
- Go to the theatre!
- Visit an Art Gallery!
- After hours! Here are your nightlife options.
- Buy some art. Visit a local art gallery!
- Need a tour guide?
- Play a game of beach volleyball!
- This is where to go for souvenirs.
- Shopping and street fashion!
- Take the Self Guided Art Tour!
- Check out the Venice Art Plaza Housed just east of Abbot Kinney on Venice Blvd. is Beyond Baroque (playhouse), Pacific Resident’s Theatre and the SPARC murals center.
- Find the best food LA trucks here!
- Grab a picnic and a blanket and enjoy a free Outdoor Concerts.
- Free Outdoor Movies. Fun!
- Enjoy ROSE AVE.: Unique restaurants, cutting edge fashion & more!
- Visit the MARINA! for boating, fishing and a stop at Mother’s Beach, Burton Chase Park and Fishermen’s Village. Eat at Tony P’s Dockside and Grill or Marina Grill and Bar.
- Explore the Marina with the Marina Del Rey Water Bus!
- Check out Main St. Santa Monica for a huge selection of vibrant restaurants, bars, boutiques and coffee houses.
- Get some of the “surfer’s sashimi” at Poke Poke on the boardwalk at 19th. ave.
- Check out the Bento Box lunch special at Hama Sushi, a Venice restaurant since 1979. Free 2hr valet
- Eat and drink on the Sidewalk Cafe’s outdoor patio. Great place to people watch on the Venice Beach Boardwalk.
- View list of local farmers’ markets! Venice Farmers Market every Friday from 7-11 a.m.
- Enjoy Swiss and German Beers and Food while you catch the most unforgettable sunset on On the Waterfront Cafe’s outdoor patio and beer garden! Celebrating 20 Years of Great Views & Great Brews
- Drink at the Townhouse -Del Monte Speakeasy! Venice’s oldest bar was once a prohibition speakeasy!
- Shop at the Venice Flea Market or Abbot Kinney Outdoor Market
- Get a tattoo! There are tons of tattoo shops along the Venice Boardwalk!
- Grab a workout at Gold’s Gym Venice. This is the most famous bodybuilding gym in the world and was the home of some of the sport’s innovators including Arnold Schwarzenegger, Lou Ferrigno and others.
- Visit the Venice Arts District.
- Take the kids to the Santa Monica Pier Aquarium. It is a hands on, interactive, educational program aimed at teaching kids about marine life and ecosystems
- Take a ride on the Ferris Wheel at Santa Monica Pier for breath taking views!
- Visit N. Venice Blvd. west of Pacific ave. This area is home to, among other things, two outstanding art galleries as well as several great restaurants, including James’ Beach (made world famous for its fish tacos by the film I Love you, man).
- Grab a yoga class at YAS Fitness!
- Drink a giant Patron margarita and people watch at Cabo Cantina. They are super tasty and one is all you need!
- Grab some coffee or juice at the Cow’s End Cafe. This family owned gem serves up sandwiches, omelets, fresh squeezed juice and more. And they are dog friendly! This is also an internet cafe! Check your emails here!
- Work out with Kettlebell Boxing!
- Craving sushi?
- Time to eat!
- Time to relax!
For all fun things to see and do in Venice, California, check out VisitVeniceCA.com!