Spend the day at the beach!
This is the thing that makes Venice the most special place on earth. Sure we have great culture and people, but it is the magnificent Pacific that makes it all happen. This three-mile beach is manicured daily and the lifeguards are on duty, so grab a towel and head down to the sand. Surf, swim, body board and splash around in the Pacific Ocean. Go for a deep sand run or power walk in ankle deep water. Sunbathe & relax. Keep an eye out for dolphins. Volleyball courts also available. You can rent surf, body and skim boards at several spots if you do not have your own. Or, grab a Frisbee or a ball for some catch. Marvel at the planet’s largest ocean or meditate into your own universe, either way the beach has the perfect spot for everyone.
Want to take a surf lesson or need beach accessories? Check out Jay’s rentals or Maui and Sons! They both have packages that include wet suits, boards and a qualified instructor. And, they also have body boards, beach supplies and more!
Ride a beach cruiser up the beach on the sand! Jay’s Rentals has fat tire beach cruisers designed for cruising the shoreline!
ADMISSION FEE: Free.
VENICE BEACH ATTRACTIONS:
- The Venice Pier: (Following info from Coastal Conservancy) The 1,300-foot Venice Pier, built in 1963, was falling to pieces by the 1980s. It was closed and scheduled for demolition in 1986. Venice residents rallied to the cause, and after years of perseverance the pier was restored and reopened in 1997. The restored pier is fully accessible, with special cutouts for fishing from wheelchairs. Location: End of Washington Blvd. South of the Venice Breakwater
- The Venice Breakwater: (Following insert from wikimapia.org) The Venice Breakwater is an acclaimed local surf spot in Venice, located north of the Venice Pier and Lifeguard Headquarters, and south of the Santa Monica Pier. This spot is sheltered on the north by an artificial barrier, the breakwater, consisting of an extending sand bar, piping, and large rocks at its end. This spot has differing breaks depending on swell intensity, swell direction, tide and time of the day. Venice Breakwater History: Built by Abbot Kinney in 1905 to protect his amusement park pier, this is one of the few bits and pieces remaining of his dream community, Venice of America. The only place on the beach to see waves break on both sides. Also has the finest sand for sand sculpture. In summer only the north break is even halfway ridable, but when the winter storm swells come in, the five to seven foot point-break type waves at the south end are first rate.
- Free beach wheelchairs provided by the Dep’t of Beaches & Harbor.
- Showers and bathrooms located by and on the beach at the Venice Pier, North Venice Blvd, 17th St., Market St. Brooks Ave. and Rose Ave
RULES OF THE BEACH:
- Do not touch, feed, or disturb any marine life on the beach. Animals on the beach are wild and may bite. If you see an injured animal on the beach, ask a lifeguard to call animal rescue. California Marine and Wild Life. 310-457-9453
- No alcohol on the beach.
- No smoking on the beach.
- Throw your trash in the garbage bins or take it home with you. Please don’t litter! Keep our home/beaches clean!
- Venice open from 6:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
VISITOR SURVIVOR TIPS:
- Beware of rip tides (strong flow of water near shore). More information on riptides here.
- Respect the surfers. Stay south of the red flag.
- Wear plenty of sunscreen.
- Ask a lifeguard if you need more beach and water tips. Lifeguards are on the beach during daylight hours.
- Click here for more visitor survivor tips.
LET’S KEEP OUR OCEANS AND BEACHES CLEAN!
IMPORTANT PHONE NUMBERS AND WEBSITES:
- Wildlife and Marine Rescue Centers
- Surfline Venice Beach Cam
- Beaches and Harbors at 310-305-9546
- Permit information from Beaches and Harbors 310-305-9503
- Filming Information from Beaches and Harbors 310-305-9549
- Life Guard Emergency: 310.394.3261 or 310.577.5700
- LIFEGUARD DIVISION. 2300 Ocean Front Walk. Venice , CA 90291. (310) 939-7200.
PARKING: City parking lots, private lots and street parking available.
- South City Parking Lot: 2100 Ocean Front Walk. Venice, Ca 90291.
- North City Parking Lot: 300 Ocean Front Walk, Venice, Ca. 90291.
- Washington Blvd. Lot: 3100 Washington Boulevard, Venice, Ca 90291
Click here for additional parking and directions info!