- Remaking (& demaking) the Orson Welles’ not-yet-released film The Other Side of the Wind as The Brother Side of the Wake. Here’s two short previews: youtube.com/watch?v=NlhspvI86Z8 & youtube.com/watch?v=Vso1cEAUYR.
- Publishing my first interview book, Strange Questions: Experimental Film as Conversation, and doing nothing effectively..
- I spoke at the Media Ecology conference in San Fran.
- My experimental films screened in New York City.
- Hosting two major VENICE HISTORY events: 8th annual POETRY OF VENICE PHOTOGRAPHY – at Beyond Baroque and 15th Annual Venice Film Fest
- “Gerry Fialka is a true cultural Patriot, on the front lines of diversity, thought and reflection!” – Mark Grasso, Producer/British Academy of Film and Television Arts-member
- Book- Finnegans Wake by James Joyce …and (tie)… Take Today: The Executive as Drop-out by Marshall McLuhan Band – Black Shoe Polish…and (tie)… Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention ‘
- Movie – Sans Soleil by Chris Marker…and (tie)… Tribulation 99 by Craig Baldwin
What do you do on your days off? How do you treat yourself? Laugh, love and learn. I treat myself kindly. Love and be loved.
List 2-3 things on your bucket list, and 1-2 on your VENICE bucket list
Aspire to be the put-on artist who puts on events that uncover our invention’s hidden psychic effects, then we can cope with the disservices and flip them into services. Through art, music, film and fiery discussions, we can live in the present and write a detailed history of the future. Fun is the key…FUNKY.
Finish off the statement “Life is… “epiphanies in everydayness.”
What causes do you support? Peace, justice, freedom, cosmic wisdom.
What’s one thing we can do to make the world a better place? Look homeless people in the eye and sharing time in conversation with them.
Anything else you want to share about yourself to the world? Join Laughtears.com and check out my interviews and music.
Describe Venice. Heaven on Earth…where one cannot tell the difference between a homeless wino junkie and a millionaire film artist.
Describe your perfect day in Venice: (start from morning to night) . Hugging my wife Suzy Williams, playing tennis with her, attending her yoga class, and meeting people on the street spontaneously (as in Sponto – combo of spontaneous and pronto)
What are some interesting destinations/activities in Venice that even locals might not be aware of? Being with people on the Boardwalk…
List any of your favorite Venice businesses, event(s) or activities? Beyond Baroque, 212 Pier, and Angel City Bookstore.
What is your craziest or fondest Venice experience? Any encounter with Venice icon Dougo Smith, Dumpster Diving Fashion Show (and all the Spontofication ritual art shows & gatherings), Bruce Langhorne’s New Orleans Marching Band on the Boardwalk to support Katrina victims, sunsets.
Any shoutouts or thank you’s? Thank you to everybody who supports our events, and feeds the homeless.
Anything else about Venice that you would like to say? The magic carpet ride of Venice – where Captain Beefheart met Lenny Bruce, where Chaplin, Welles, Warhol and Agnes Varda made films, where we nurture community…even in the back alleys.
Who should Venice Paparazzi cast the spotlight on next? The ultimate Venice Family who propagate inspired and inspiring activism and magical music: Peter Demian, Margaret Molloy and their son Hailey Demian.
FAN AND FOLLOW GERRY FIALKA.
- Website: laughtears.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011757174395
- Other website: venicewake.org
UPCOMING EVENTS HOSTED BY GERRY FIALKA!